Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why I go to the gym.

Yesterday I mentioned that I went to the gym and that I would get back to that later. Well now is later. I go to the gym four or five times a week for several reasons. Probably the least of my reasons is to get exercise, even though I do actually get a lot of exercise. There are three reasons for going to the gym:

1. It gets me out of the house! One of the very first things I did when I was no longer working, was to get a gym membership. It was actually the second thing I did on the day I had to "leave the building", my former employer's building that is, the first being getting a blackberry. The gym I joined costs $10 a month! It's filled with warmth and people of all shapes a sizes, and it's a place for me to go, where I see people and do things that make me feel good. Which brings me to reason #2.

2. The endorphins! Oh my oh my, when they kick in you feel like you can do anything and worries do tend to drop back. Plus I've found that I have to constantly increase my exercise levels to get the endorphins flowing which leads me to my main and third reason.

3. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. Some days just going there is an accomplishment. Hey listen everybody, we all need to feel like we're accomplishing something. This certainly does not only apply to those of us who aren't working. One thing that I've always believed is that we need to find ways to feel we are accomplishing something and to reward ourselves.

Others that I've spoke with find other things that basically give them something to focus on, to get a sense of accomplishment. Some play with their kids or grand kids, which I can really understand. The other day I was walking by the fountain in my neighborhood and this little boy was splashing his hand in it and just laughing up a storm. Made me laugh too. Just put a whole different perspective on the day. Others volunteer or participate on boards. Me, in addition to the gym, I cook. I've learned to make all these really delicious meals from scratch, all the while playing my ipod in speaker and singing at the top of my lungs, just chopping and stirring away. By the way, I've also lost 20lbs and controlled my blood pressure without meds for the first time in six years.

Getting back to focusing. Years ago I managed a telemarketing department that was outsourced. My whole group was displaced. (Don't you just love the terminology, displacement, made redundant, yeesh) I remember sitting through many one-on-ones with my team leaders and getting them to focus on the now. If you only think about the future it tends to be really scary. I know I have my daily "to do "list. While my computer is booting up , cup of coffee at elbow, I make out this list of things I will focus on TODAY! Because, you know what, tomorrow will come no matter what we do, and if we don't focus on today we will have even less influence on the outcome. Those are my words of wisdom for today.

Cheers folks and in the words of Macy Gray, "Get up, get up and do something. Don't let your life pass you by."

No comments:

Post a Comment