Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened at my Last Networking Event

Actually a couple of funny things happened at the Financial Services Networking Event, though the thought of something funny happening in those circumstances may be a bit hard to figure. No seriously, first thing I noticed was how many of us have really taken to getting a lot of exercise. For many of the reasons I’ve written about previously all us unemployed folk seemed to have hit the gym. There we all were going over our intro’s and each and everyone of us were talking about how many pounds we’re lifting or how many miles were running. As our friend in Westchester, Martha might say, “It’s a good thing”. We are certainly going to be the most healthy, in shape unemployed folks in a good century I’d say.

The funny thing I noticed, and this was more in a fun in funny, was that we are definitely re-inventing ourselves. One guy said, not so jokingly, that he almost responded to an ad for a French nanny. This guy is in international wealth management, I believe. I guess his language skills could be put to good use. This other woman was looking into being a yoga instructor. Not sure what she did in past life, but I believe she was some high ranking bank exec. Finally and most striking to me, was when I shared that I was finally finding a personal life after so many years, she shared the fact that she too was finding one. Seems like there are so many things we have sublimated all these years in search of that next promotion or landing that next big deal. As I’ve said before, or at least I’ve thought before, this past year has turned out to be the greatest blessing for me. I urge all of you to think about this. Because you know, we will go back to work, really, and we don’t want to look back and see all that time that was wasted on needless worry and fruitless activities. Enjoy the kids, read the books you’ve always wanted to, take that dance class or cooking class…enjoy life.

Back to job hunting. I continue to find jobs to apply for, so companies are still hiring regardless of all the ucky news about layoffs. In fact I was contacted by a company because of my profile on LinkedIn.com. Make sure you update your profile and go get those recommendations. Evidently they really do make a difference and more and more companies are using LinkedIn.com as a source of potential candidates. Please be careful about what kind of picture you post on your profile. I was just looking at this one profile of a contact of a contact. She has on this strapless top. I just did a double take and then noticed that she’s going back to school and isn’t in the more “serious” fields, but all kidding aside, please be careful

That’s all I have for the week. It’s probably because my mind is more on my personal life at this point. Well hey, better that than worrying about why they haven’t set up that next round of interviews for me right? It does tend to keep one very upbeat and positive you know.

On that note, I wish you all well in your searches and remember smell the frikin roses and feed the birds!

1 comment:

  1. Well I am feeling much better with myself after the New Year has passed and I have let go of the old. This is what most of us need to do to keep the focus on our campaign. There has been so much loss and turmoil in the financial industry that one must look beyond that horizon and see the other grassy fields. I was reading my Dove's Promises chocolate wrapper, one of the things I cherish after my dinner meal, and it said "Live for today, forgive the past". A perfect thought for our quest to reach employment status again. Move on, don't let past failures or mishaps with job leads or interviews slow you down. Remember the next guy or gal waiting behind you so do't give away your spot, so to speak

    ReplyDelete