Friday, December 19, 2008

Isn't It Amazing

Lot’s of things are amazing I know. It’s the holidays, it’s snowing, they’re bailing out Detroit, but no what I’m referring to is the internet. You all are probably starting at this with a combination of “Duh” and “what is she smoking?” More specifically I’m referring to all the applications that have come through the internet and the implications on society, never mind our lives. In particular I’m talking about all the networking sites. All of you who are out of work have heard from all quarters at this point that we must network and therefore we have all become quite proficient with sites like LinkedIn.com. I know I’ve become connected with people I worked with 20 years ago! You have to be careful or it starts to suck you in, but there is real value. Recently my favorite boss ever wrote me a recommendation and a former client did too. Then a former co-worker who now owns his own company re-connected. Maybe something will come out of it, or maybe not. You never know where things will lead.

Speaking of which, that leads me to something else. I am giving myself a couple weeks off. Yup, I’ve promised a bunch of people that I will not look for any new jobs till the New Year. This raises an important point. Looking for work is hard. It amounts to constant cold calling and degrees of business development that I never thought I’d ever reach. I got to the point where I told my group that I was just so sick of interviewing. I believe that 2008 was a strange tough year and that I need a chance to let all the lessons land and be absorbed. Look, there’s not much you can do on the job front anyway, and I’ll be able to come up with a better campaign strategy. But hey that’s my advice, but you really should think about it. Just like you needed a vacation while working, you really need one now. Companies don’t give us vacation time out of the goodness of their little corporate hearts. No they do that because they want their workers to continue to be productive. If we want to continue to be productive in our search for the right job, we need time off. Therefore, I’m just focusing on friends, family, parties, cooking and reading good books for a couple of weeks.

On that note, I’m off to the kitchen to make some eggnog.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment