Monday, December 29, 2008

Thoughts for Re-launch

Things really started to come together today at the gym. When I run on the treadmill, I push it to the extent that I can’t focus on anything besides my breathing and not falling down. As a matter of fact, I’ve been encountering a real lack of focus lately, so this “feels” really much better than it sounds. As I’ve written before, I’ve been taking a brief hiatus from my campaign to re-launch my career. It’s been a struggle to not apply for jobs and to go to all those job boards and search for possible leads. Why? Because there is a certain routine to doing those type things that can be quite comforting. But listen to this. Listen! Taking time off was a really, really good idea.

Think of it this way, remember being at your desk and working on a spread sheet, a contract or a memo and not being able to tie the numbers, or find the right words? The best thing you could do was walk away right? Go do something totally different, get your mind on something else, like getting a cup of coffee. Then all of a sudden, there it was. The answer you were looking for just pops into your mind. That’s what happened to me today. Because we are all forced to get really good at this landing a job business; thinking about the technicalities of getting networking connections, presenting ourselves correctly, getting those interviews, we may start to lose sight of where we want to go. You know what I mean, the whole finding your passion concept.

So today, I’m jogging along (cool down) and thinking about response to an email from a friend about what is it I want to do and beating myself up for not knowing what I want to do, as opposed to what I don’t want to do. Then Blam! It dawned on me. I thought of a skill that I am not only really good at, but that I also love to do. Wow what a concept! I’ll bet you’re thinking “now there’s the passion.” You got that right. I came home and put it on my “to do” list under update resume and job search, and started to think of other things that got me excited.

Now I’m ready. My list for the New Year is coming together. 1. Update resume highlighting those skills I am good at and enjoy doing. 2 Refresh those job boards with my newly updated resume. 3. Start using those key words in searches and communications. This probably seems so absolutely simple and obvious, but it really wasn’t to me. That’s why I thought it necessary to share on this blog. Just in case I wasn’t the only one who missed the point.

Onward my friends to the fun new challenges of 2009!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment